How To Delete Or Cancel Hung Print Jobs

Today, one of my user had clogged my entire print queue on a server giving a 4GB print job!! I mean who does that??!. This stopped all my other print jobs from starting and all the users had started complaining.

I tried deleting his job from the print queue manager on the server and I got an Access Denied message, so not sure what was going on. So I finally performed the below steps to blow that 4GB print job from the queue!

  • Stop the Print Spooler service

  • Go to the folder —> C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

  • In that folder look for all the .SPL files, which are the spool files and locate the one with the massive size that you want to delete and blow it away.

  • Start the Print Spooler service back on

  • After that if you see the print queue on the server, you should not see that job again and chances are that all your other print jobs should start to print.


Unable to install the .NET Framework security update KB4457918 on Windows Server 2008 R2

This month my SCCM team had released a .NET framework update for 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 systems. I was trying to install that on one of my Windows 2008 R2 server system and it kept failing.

After looking at the WindowsUdpate.log file under C:\Windows, I spotted quite a few error codes which ranged from:

  • WARNING: Command line install completed. Return code = 0x0000066a, Result = Failed, Reboot required = false

  • WARNING: Exit code = 0x8024200B

  • WARNING: Exit code = 0x00000000; Call error code = 0x80240022

  • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643

The way I fixed my particular issue was I repaired my Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 listed under the Program and Features menu.

  • Start —> Run —> Appwiz.cpl

  • Locate Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile and right click it

  • Select Uninstall/Change

  • Select the repair option and click on NEXT

  • After the installation has been repaired, it will ask for a reboot

  • Reboot the server

  • Install the latest update again and hopefully it should install just fine this time.

If the above procedure does not work, then you will have to look at alternatives.


The mount point disk volume is not a clustered resource.To continue, add the resource to the cluster, or remove the mount point to cluster the shared disk

I had a Windows 2012 cluster on which my SQL team was trying to create a new role and install SQL 2016 on it. When running through the SQL installation they kept getting an error message and the base disk which acts as a mount point for the rest of the disks wasn't being detected and an error would show up.

The way we install SQL is,  we have a base disk which acts as a mount point, which is generally 1 Gb in size. Then we have different disks namely Data,Backup,Logs and TempDB which are mounted inside this base disk as mount points and have varying sizes depending upon the requirement. The actual error was:

"The mount point disk volume '\\?\Volume{79d2349d-08dc-472a-ba6a-a73117f88bd2}\' mounted at 'J:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1831736574-1690769945-617630493-456775\$R5498E5\' is not a clustered resource.To continue, add the resource to the cluster, or remove the mount point to cluster the shared disk."

To fix this I followed the below steps:

  • Remove the disks from the resource group
  • Remove the disks from the cluster
  • Bring the disks online in computer management
  • Format the Base disk that the mount points attach to
  • Recreate the mount points inside the Base disk
  • Re-add the disks to the cluster
  • Delete the Role and re-create it
  • Re-add the disks to the resource group
  • Re-create the dependencies from the mount point disks to the Base disk
  • Start SQL installation

Incorrect disk usage information on a Windows Server

I have a windows 2008 server and I ran into a situation, where one of my disks was showing up incorrect used space information and that was driving me crazy!

As you can see below, my drive was showing up as 81.6 GB utilized but in reality, I was only using 8GB of it. So where was the extra space coming from?! 


I checked my shadow copy settings because sometimes that is the culprit, but I had none configured.


Also, I ran tools like SpaceMonger which I use to identify space issues and that did not give me anything. So after a while, one of my team member pointed me to check the hidden files and system files and then I checked the size of my hidden "Recycle bin" which I found to be eating up all that extra space!


Unable to bring the MSDTC resource online in a windows failover cluster - 0x3eb cluster resource

This morning, I had created my new Windows 2016 failover cluster and when I was trying tp create my MSDTC resource or for that matter any resource, I was unable to bring it online and it was failing at the network name bit. The disks were alright and were shared between the hosts but the resource just wouldn't come online!

After digging around, I figured out that my CNO (Cluster network object) did not have the "Create computer objects" permission, on the OU it was trying to create my MSDTC object. So all I had to do was go to the properties of my OU, which the objects was trying to be created and right click --> properties


On the next dialog box, go to the security tab and click the Advance button


Then click Add


Then click the "Select a principal" option


Here put the CNO name of your windows failover cluster, mine was ALSTAR$ and hit OK


In the permissions windows, make sure the "Create Computer Objects" permission is granted to the CNO and click OK.


Once this is done, try and bring your MSDTC resource online and hopefully it should come online without any issues!